14 October 2007

Career Planning

(I missed yesterday. I'll double up tomorrow, probably.)

I know you're twelve, and career planning isn't something you should have to concern yourself with at this point. We're kind of in a new age now, though, and we need to start looking ahead earlier than we used to. Besides, this is a positive suggestion that lets you still be a kid while "working" toward you future.

Sperbs tend to get locked in for life their chosen pastime / hobby / obsessions by the time we're twelve or thirteen. I still can't get enough music, baseball, and/or hockey, and now I painfully wish I'd pursued careers in one of those fields back when my future was bright and wide open. But I was twelve in a remote farming / industrial community in the early 1980's, so I only knew of high-profile jobs in soprts and music as performers or coaches, so I punted - you live in San Diego and have Google.

Don't entirely commit to your career at twelve - that would absolutely be a bad idea - but start getting information on ways to convert your passions into your living. I'm sure there are professional statisticians in golf, since there are golf fantasy leagues. Golf probably also has its share of historians who pursue the past with a relentlessness that only a passion for the game of your caliber could create.

Obviously, space studies require a lot of scientists and physicists. That requires a heck of a lot of complex math - requiring both superior aptitude and passion for the subject matter. For that matter, golf equipment / course design would also involve a lot of physics. Physics is only easy for a select few, of which I'd think you could be one. Some things stop being fun when they start being work - but you'll never know unless you go after it.

No comments: